Allowing the students to:
1. get a general idea of what the main features of the Victorian Age were;
2. know the main reforms and the development of the factory system;
3. understand what the expression Victorian Compromise means;
4. consider the highs and lows of the early Victorian Age;
5. realise how the British Empire was born.
Tempo di apprendimento
Apprendimento in: 2 hours
A How-To Guide
Stage 1 – On your textbook
1.1. Read page 3 [An Overall View]
No need to read the paragraph G.
You should get a very general idea of what the main features of the Victorian Age were.
1.2. Read pages 4/5 [The dawn of the Victorian Age]
First focus on the information which will allow you to complete the Key Ideas at page 6. Then, it is really important that you get a good knowledge of:
1. the Workhouse system;
2. the reforms;
3. the technological progress and its effects;
1.2. Read page 7 [The Victorian Compromise]
Focus on the information which will allow you to complete the Key Ideas and to do the Exercise 2. So that you should know:
1. why it was such a complex age;
2. what respectability was and meant for the Victorians.
Stage 2 – Online
2.1. The Dawn of the Victorian Age (PPT Presentation )
Sum up your knowledge through the reading of the PPT presentation from your textbook.
2.2. The Victorian Compromise (Video Resource)
Not an English native speaker – some lapses linguae here and there i.e. middle age at 3:26 and 4:00 instead of Victorian age – but extremely clear and explanatory. You’re strongly advised to watch it carefully if you want understand what the Victorian Compromise, with all its highs and lows, virtues and vices, was about.
Stage 3 – Mixed: Online/ On your textbook
1. On your textbook
1.1. Read page 8 [Life in Victorian Britain]
You should read the passage and do the Multiple Choice Quiz.
2.1. Do the same Exercise [Life in Victoria Britain]
Just repeat the Exercise online so as to check your answers.
As outlined above.